If you’re thinking of improving your home with new windows, you’ve got many options. One practical, versatile, and attractive choice? Horizontal rolling windows.
Here’s a closer look at this popular window type, along with why horizontal rolling windows are the preferred window type for many modern homeowners.
What are Horizontal Rolling Windows?
When people think of windows, conventional windows that open and close vertically may first come to mind. However, there are many window types and styles, such as the single hung window, fixed/picture window, casement window, awning window, and horizontal rolling window.
As evidenced by their name, horizontal rolling windows—also called horizontal sliding windows, Yorkshire sash windows, and horizontal sash windows—open and close horizontally by sliding along bottom tracks that are built into the frame. Positioned along bottom tracks with a slight overlap between panels, they glide side to side along the track mechanism. In this sense, their functionality is similar to that of sliding doors.
Available in two- and three-panel configurations in customizable fixed/operational combinations in which the sash can slide in either direction, horizontal rolling windows are a popular and contemporary choice.
The Benefits of Horizontal Rolling Windows
From aesthetics to functionality, horizontal rolling windows have many benefits. Here’s a closer look at the advantages of including horizontal rolling windows in your design.
- Expansive views. Because sliding windows have large and uninterrupted swaths of glass, they offer wide sightlines. Whether you have a particular coastal or mountain view to highlight or you’d simply like to gaze upon your home’s natural surroundings, horizontal rolling windows offer uninterrupted vertical views.
- Abundant natural light. Natural light is one of the most sought-after qualities of today’s homeowners. Horizontal windows deliver in this respect thanks to their design, which allows ample natural light to enter the room.
- Excellent natural ventilation. Horizontal rolling windows also allow for significant airflow when you want it. In fact, because they open so wide, some could even accommodate box fans if you’re looking for even more air circulation.
- Accessibility. Because of their horizontal sliding design, horizontal rolling windows open and close without protruding into the spaces they inhabit. This makes them ideal for spaces with limited square footage or where access may be an issue. They’re a popular pick for hallways and rooms facing walkways, as well as for exterior spaces like decks, porches, and patios.
- Energy efficiency. Because of their simple functionality with minimal moving parts, horizontal slider windows usually offer better energy efficiency than some other window types. but also mean spaces are less drafty when they’re shut. (Of course, if a “draft” is desired in the form of fresh air, it’s within easy reach with horizontal sliding windows.)
- Convenient operation. Horizontal sliding windows are the essence of simplicity. They’re also preferable in spaces where you’d have to bear weight while leaning over to open a window. As such, they’re convenient in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms where sinks, counters, and other design elements tend to be present.
- Easy care and maintenance. Not only do durable horizontal rolling windows have fewer moving parts thereby reducing the risk of parts breaking or failing, but they can also be designed with removable operating panels that pop in and out. The result? Keeping them sparkling clean couldn’t be easier.
- Customization. All spaces have different challenges. The customization offered by horizontal rolling windows allows homeowners to maximize their benefits depending on their unique space considerations and goals. For example, horizontal sliding windows are a good fit for smaller spaces as well as for providing ventilation. Meanwhile, aluminum windows from CGI are offered in many colors to help you get the exact look you’re going for.
- Curb appeal. Because of their prominent glass, horizontal rolling windows improve the ambiance of indoor spaces. But that’s not all. They also contribute to curb appeal with the potential to add character, showcase architectural elements, and draw visual interest. In fact, This Old House included “standout windows” as its top pick for creating a more handsome facade for your home.
- Value. Another advantage of going with upscale impact rolling windows in performance-forward materials like aluminum? They offer tremendous value.
High Performance Impact Horizontal Rolling Windows
While standard horizontal rolling windows offer many upsides on their own, these advantages are amplified when you opt for high performance impact windows.
Offering improvements across everything from efficiency to durability, high performance horizontal rolling windows will also protect your home from extreme weather conditions. In coastal regions, meanwhile, impact glass is more than a nicety; it’s a necessity.
The takeaway? When it comes to enhancing your home, upgrading your windows is a smart move. If your goal is to truly maximize the benefits of this home improvement, however, it’s important to take the time to select the right ones. From selecting a reliable manufacturer to choosing the best window type for your needs and goals, there are many considerations.
CGI offers an extensive inventory of high-performance impact resistant windows for residential and commercial properties, including horizontal rolling windows for residences and commercial properties. Learn more here